Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hitting the Ground Running

So, I woke up this morning at 6AM excited to get started. I reloaded the Accordance Greek fonts back onto my system (they were erased when I did a system restore), and headed to the library. My first order of business is to get started on my research for the article. Yesterday I sent a new copy of my thesis to my former thesis adviser Dr. Steve Ahearne-Kroll. Dr. Ahearne-Kroll continues to help me through this process even though I am no longer a student at his school. He is a very busy person, and I appreciate his willingness to help me out. I sent a second copy of my thesis to Dr. Welborn, who I spoke about in yesterday's post. I also sent a copy to a colleague and friend of mine, Allan Georgia. Allan will be starting his PhD at Fordham in the Fall, and is someone I can truly say I have been glad to know. I appreciate his advice, his intelligence, and most of all his friendship. In a world were I have come to find that many Biblical scholars consider themselves unapproachable, these three men continue to show me that there are scholars that not only care about rigorous research, but they care about people and relationships as well.

Today's plan of attack is simple. I will begin reading through my thesis (which I already condensed to serve as a writing sample) and find areas that can be cut and areas that need to be expanded. I will also take on the task of translating all of my cited Biblical texts myself. This preliminary step will take some time, but I am sure that it will prove to be very productive.

As a side note, I encourage everyone to read my wife's blog. My wife has never stopped supporting me and encouraging me, even in times when things seemed the most unsure. She blogs daily about the positive things that happen in her life. She inspires me, and as far as I can tell, many other people as well.

No comments: